Energy Alabama will hold a community fair in the East Lake community of Birmingham to promote our Clean Energy & Energy Efficiency for All of Alabama campaign.
Energy Alabama, along with several other nonprofit and community groups who work on environmental, civic engagement and justice issues (see below for complete list) will be sharing resources and information to help Birmingham residents with home energy efficiency, how to weatherize their home to save on electricity bills, fight pollution, access funding for home energy upgrades available through the Inflation Reduction Act, and more.
The Fair will take place on August 5, from 8 a.m. to Noon, in conjunction with the P.E.E.R. Inc.’s East Lake Market in the parking lot of East Lake United Methodist Church located at 7753 1st Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama.
Fun, Informative, Family-Friendly
Our Education Manager Laurel Holmes will lead exciting and age appropriate energy-related activities for children while parents and guardians learn ways to improve home efficiency and reduce energy costs.
“Kids will get to explore the power of the sun by tasting cookies baked in a solar oven and playing with solar-powered cars. Younger children will be entertained with clean energy and energy efficiency coloring pages. Our kids activities will allow adults to visit farm market and other vendors, and learn more about the work of Energy Alabama and other nonprofits joining in the fair.”Laurel Holmes, Education Manager
Prize Giveaways & More
Energy Alabama will be giving away several valuable “door prizes” to help homeowners:
- Home Performance Assessment (performed by Ecothree).
- Two Heating and Cooling Service Packages
- Two Ecobee Smart Thermostats
Eligibility Requirements for these three categories of giveaways:
- Must be at least 18 years of age to win.
- Must be present in person to register (see next item).
- Must “register” for a drawing by completing the entry registration form at the Energy Alabama tent.
- Limit one prize per physical address.
- If the winner is not present at the time of the drawing, the registration form must include a valid email and/or physical mailing address to notify the winner. If we are unable to contact the winner within 10 business days, we will draw again from the registration forms completed by those who attend to award that prize to a new winner.
We will also be giving away LED light bulbs (limit 2 per person)while supplies last.
Confirmed Participating Organizations
- Energy Alabama – Focus: Policy advocacy and education on clean energy and energy efficiency
- Alabama Interfaith Power & Light and the People’s Justice Council
- Alabama Arise – Focus: Reducing poverty across Alabama through policy change
- Alabama Forward – Focus: A network of organizations advancing civic engagement, democracy, voting, and related policy issues that will move Alabama forward
- Black Warrior Riverkeeper – Focus: Protecting and restoring the Black Warrior River and its tributaries
- Website: https://blackwarriorriver.org/
- GASP – Focus: Air pollution, clean energy
- Website: https://gaspgroup.org/
- Ruffner Mountain – Nature, environment, conservation, outdoor recreation
- UAB Solar House and Sustainable Community
WERiSE – Home weatherization guidance
Thank you to P.E.E.R. Inc. / East Lake Market
We are grateful to P.E.E.R., Inc. for allowing us to hold the event in conjunction with their Saturday market. A reminder that on First Saturdays, seniors who receive food assistance will receive bonus benefits to use on local produce sold by farmers who attend the market.
Thank you to Southeast Climate & Energy Network
Funding to produce this event was provided by Southeast Climate Energy Network (SCEN) as part of its 2023-24 SCEN for Southern Communities Tour.
SCEN’s mission is to confront the climate crisis by creating strategic alignment, growing capacity, and building power among member organizations and their communities in the Southeast United States. Visit https://www.scen-us.org/ to learn more.